Seriously, desperate here. I mean, I’ve run out of things to work on during my trip and I’m not going home for a couple of days. Ugh. I really have gone through EVERYTHING that I brought with me that isn’t with test readers. I work too quickly apparently.
The mark of how desperate I am is that I’m making another run through The Nine, even though I haven’t yet entered the changes from the first round. I’m finding more things and actually getting more concrete about some of the general things that I had marked for fixing up. It means that I’ll hit the ground running to make these changes to the Word file when I get home. Worse things could happen 🙂
I’m also still mulling the whole publishing method question. I think that some of it is feeling very close to being done with Bound (no guarantees on that though, it’s ready when it’s ready) Okay, I know that it has seemed like I was decided on self-publishing electronically, but I never said it was for sure. I’m back to vacillating on the subject. I suppose part of it is theoretically better exposure, but it’s also about how much time I have for writing. Self-pub would certainly cut into that as I would have to spend much more time doing the marketing and getting covers done, and everything else that goes into making a book because it would all be on me. Yes, that means that the ability to succeed is all in my hands, rather than hoping someone else does their job properly and no one else drops the ball, but that’s a lot of pressure, and time for me to spend on not-writing.
I find my thoughts circling a lot on the subject and I’m increasingly tempted to at least query a few agents, see what comes of it. One of the real problems I see if I go with the industry is the volume of writing I seem to be producing in a relatively short period of time. It certainly seems to be faster than the industry likes to go and there would be overflow, I can almost guarantee it. Of course, I can always look at self-publishing some of that overflow when and if it happens.
And none of this is for certain. I could change my mind back again tomorrow or next week. I just don’t know. It’s a big decision and I’m really not sure what I want. The good thing about querying some agents is that all it would do is delay getting Bound out there if it doesn’t work out. I won’t have lost anything but time. I’m trying to keep focused more on writing, rather than navel-gazing about this, but eventually I’m going to have to make the decision and with something this big, I tend to want to think about a lot before I actually make the decision.